Nelson Lab - Movies
Fish Field Animation
This video shows the spatial and temporal structure of the self-generated electric field of Apternotus albifrons (black ghost knifefish). The movie was generated several years ago by Brian Rasnow and Chris Assad at Caltech. You can find more of Brian and Chris' fish movies at http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~rasnow/.
Prey Capture Movies
Here is a collection of MPEG movies from our studies of prey capture behavior in the black ghost knifefish (Apteronotus albifrons).
- raw video of a prey capture event (short version, no sound) [mpg, 432 KB]
- raw video of a prey capture event (long version, with sound) [mpg, 2179 KB]
- 3-D reconstructed prey capture trajectory (no sensory image) [mpg, 816 KB]
- 3-D reconstructed trajectory with electrosensory image [mpg, 806 KB]
- 3-D reconstructed trajectory with mechanosensory image [mpg, 826 KB]
- 3-D reconstructed trajectory with side-by-side electo & mechano images [mpg, 903 KB]
- 3-D reconstructed trajectory with tuberous, ampullary and mechano images [quicktime, 840 KB]